BLT. Three little letters that represent one hugely popular and perfect sandwich combination: bacon, lettuce, and tomato. An arrangement of ingredients that when done right, strike an idyllic balance between savory, crunchy bacon, and juicy, crisp vegetables. With a thick schmear of mayo on nicely toasted bread, it is my diner go-to. Now who is the genius that threw together such a masterpiece? I would like to shake their hand.
Could you, if presented with the challenge, create another equally delicious sandwich using that very same abbreviation, without using bacon, lettuce, or tomato? That was the Creative Cooking Crew’s task this month, and you know what? It’s not that easy! Give it a try. If you’re like me, you may come up with a few really kooky, sorta fancy, and/or kind of gross sandwich ideas. B, L, and T are some pretty big letters to live up to.
For a sandwich that everyone would want to make and enjoy often, I ended up putting a twist on an all-American favorite. Ladies and Gentleman, a new kind of BLT: Barbecue Chicken Sliders with Lime Turnip Slaw.
These little lovelies are based on classic pulled pork sandwiches, but are made with pulled chicken instead, tossed in a tangy sweet vinegar-based honey sauce inspired by North Carolina-style barbecue. If you do not like vinegary sauces, you can use any other homemade or bottled barbecue sauce that you’d like. There are no rules! The lime turnip slaw is made with carrots, cilantro, and Greek yogurt in place of mayo and is light, refreshing, and wonderfully crunchy. There may be no rules here, but I definitely recommend trying the turnip slaw on these sliders/with any other barbecue dish instead of regular old cabbage coleslaw. Just sayin.
When placed between the buttery toasted goodness of mini buns, the familiar, yet different combination of barbecue pulled meat and slaw make for fun and delicious barbecue sliders. The classic BLT could never be beat, but using its simplicity and well-balanced bite of texture and flavor as my inspiration, I’d say these little sandwiches came out just about as close to perfection as the original.
Barbecue Chicken Sliders with Lime Turnip Slaw
Yield: 6-8 sliders
Lime Turnip Slaw
- 1 cup julienned or shredded carrots
- 1 cup julienned or shredded turnip
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- Slider buns, brushed with melted butter
1) For the lime turnip slaw, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Refrigerate.
2) In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except for the chicken in a bowl and mix well. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Toast the buttered slider buns. Top the slider buns with barbecue chicken and slaw. Serve immediately.
To see other creative versions of the “BLT,” clink the link below: